Kaala was a different collaboration for Pa Ranjith and Rajnikanth. The movie had the right mix of Rajnikanth swag and Pa Ranjith’s working class sensibilities. Though the movie did not have the typical huge success of a Rajnikanth film it was still a profitable venture. The movie completes 1 year today. Let’s look at 10 interesting facts about the film.
1. It was Pa Ranjith’s second collaboration with Rajnikanth after Kabali.
2. Vidya Balan was approached for a role in the film but she refused due to date issues.
3. Kaala is the second Rajnikanth film to receive U/A certificate. The first was Thalapathi in 1991.
4. Though the movie happens in Dharavi most of the film was shot in Chennai only and Dharavi set was created for this purpose.
5. The dog which is featured alongside Rajnikanth is Mani. When the posters and the film came out there was a huge interest to buy the dog with bidders willing to pay upto 2 crores but the owner refused to part with the dog.
6. The CEO of Mahindra & Mahindra wanted to acquire the Jeep on which Rajinikanth poses for the company auto museum.
7. The film was simultaneously shot in Tamil and Hindi and dubbed in Telugu.
8. This was the second consecutive gangster film for Rajnikanth after Kabali.
9. There’s an interesting scene in Sullan a film in which Dhanush and Eswari Rao play siblings. It released in 2004. Almost 14 years later Dhanush produced this film while Eswari Rao played Rajini’s wife.
10. The movie was originally supposed to release on 27th April but got delayed due to movie industry strike.