It’s been 11 years since Subramanianiyapuram released. Let’s look at 10 interesting facts about the film.
1. Subramaniapuram is the only film to be played in two channels at the same time during it’s television premiere – Sun Tv and Zee Tamil.
2. The film had two climaxes. In the original climax Swathi is also killed by Sasikumar. The original climax was there in theatres for a day.
3. Satyam Cinemas initally refused to screen Subramaniyapuram fearing that the film has no scope of making a profit
4. Shantanu Bhagyaraj was the first choice to play Jai’s role but the family demanded so many changes in the script. Sasikumar refused and moved onto Jai.
5. Subramaniyapuram was a trendsetter in the way it used Illayaraja music instead of actual background score to convey the mood of a scene. This was later imitated in several other films
6. This was the first of Sasikumar’s hat trick success. This was followed by Nadodigal as a hero and Pasanga as a producer.
7. Anurag Kashyap revealed that Subramaniyapuram was the inspiration for his Gangs of Wasseypur series.
8. The film was shot in 85 days.
9. It was dubbed in Malayalam and remade in Kannada.
10. This was Swati’s first Tamil film.