Kandukondain Kandukondain is one of the best films in Ajith’s career. It is also one of the most mature love films of all times. The film which had an ensemble cast of Ajith, Mammootty, Tabu, Aishwarya Rai and Abbas. The songs by A.R Rahman was another major highlight. The film released on 5th May 2000 and it has 19 years since the film released. Let’s look at 10 interesting facts about this love classic.
1. It is based on Jane Austen’s novel Sense and Sensibility.
2. Shankar Mahadevan won the National Award for Enna Solla Pogirai song.
3. Prabhu Deva was the first choice to play the lead role along with Ajith. Later it went to Prasanth and finally Mammootty was signed to play the role of the Army general.
4. This was Aishwarya Rai’s third Tamil film after Mani Ratnam’s Iruvar and Shankar’s Jeans.
5. Chiyaan Vikram dubbed for Abbas in the film. Chiyaan Vikram still says that Abbas was his favourite actor while dubbing.
6. Actress Revathi dubbed for Tabu.
7. Rajiv Menon won the filmfare award for best director in Tamil.
8. The song lines from this film was used as Title for several Tamil films.
9. The lives of the two sisters were based on the life of Rajiv Menon and his own brother.
10. Kandukondein Kandukondein would have been the first film of the millennium if had released on 1st January 2000. Unfortunately the release got delayed till May.