Apoorva Sagodharargal is one of those rare films which still remains fresh in our memories. It has been 30 years since the film released yet the way Kamal playing a drawf is still a mystery to many. It was released on 14th April 1989. Here are some interesting facts about the film.
1. Initially the film didn’t have a third Kamal Hassan. Prem Nazir was the original choice to play the character of Sethupathy the father which was later played by Kamal himself. Prem Nazir could not play the father as he was sick
2. Initially the film was a tragic story with a lot of violence.
It was even shot that way for a week but they were not satisfied and approached Panchu Arunachalam. It was Panchu Arunachalam who came up with the concept of twins with a dwarf as the hero.
3. K. Balachander was first approached to direct the film but he opted out because of the complicated story line.
4. The film’s gross is one of the highest in Tamil Cinema. Until Baasha this remained the highest grossing film in Tamil Cinema.
5. Gandhimadhi was the first choice to play Manorama’s role. Manorama came in after Panchu Arunachalam altered the story.
6. No graphics were used for the dwarf portions.
7. The film has one of the highest ticket sales of all time. Around 2 crore tickets were sold. This is a record which has stood the test of time.
8. The idea for Apoorva Sagodhargal came to Kamal on the sets of the Hindi film Sagar about a circus clown falling in love.
9. A documentary was planned on the making of the film but it never took off.
10. The film initially was backed by another big producer but once K. Balachander opted out and Singeetham Srinivasa Rao came in Kamal haasan himself became the producer of this hit film.