Kalakalappu is a laugh riot from start to finish. After the failure of Ambe Sivam Sundar C went back to his forte which was comedy and it worked big time. The film’s only intention was to make us laugh and it succeeded. The film completed 7 years on 11th May 2012. Let’s look at 7 interesting facts about the film.
1. The film was initially titled Masala Cafe and later changed to Kalakalappu.
2. This is Sundar C’s 25th film. The idea for this film came during the shooting of Murattu Kaalai.
3. Vadivelu was supposed to play an important role in the film but was later replaced by Santhanam.
4. Anjali, Pia Bajpai and Bindhu Madhavi were considered for the heroine role which was eventually played by Anjali and Oviya.
5. The famous CKS Bungalow in Gopichettipalayam was converted into Masala cafe for the film.
6. The film was remade in Telugu as Jump Jilani with Allari Naresh in the lead. The film also had a sequel with Jiva and Jai but the sequel was not as successful as the first part.
7. The film is loosely based on the 2009 German comedy Soul Kitchen