Raavanan is an underrated epic. Though it was not well received at the time of it’s release over a period of time the film achieved cult status. Vikram’s acting and A.R Rahman’s earned special praise. The film released on 18th June 2010 and completed 9 years today. Let’s look at 10 interesting facts about the film.
1. The film was simultaneously shot in Hindi and Tamil and dubbed in Telugu. All three versions of the film released on the same date.
2. The film is based on the Ashokavanam episode in Ramayana where Ravana kidnaps Sita and keeps her in Asokavanam.
3. This was Karthik’s third film with Mani Ratnam after Mouna Ragam and Agni Natchathiram.
4. This also Prabhu’s third collaboration with Mani Ratnam after Agni Natchathiram and Anjali.
5. Actress Rohini dubbed for Aishwarya Rai. She had earlier dubbed for Aishwarya Rai in Iruvar and Guru.
6. The film was screened at the 67th Venice film festival and 15th Busan film festival.
7. Chiyaan Vikram won the filmfare award for Best actor in Tamil for this film.
8. The film was added to the Austrian film museum.
9. The film had an interesting role switch in Tamil and Hindi. While the Tamil version had Vikram play the role of Veera the kidnapper in the Hindi version he plays Aishwarya Rai’s husband.
10. Singer Karthik won the filmfare award for best playback singer for this film.