Mani Ratnam is often credited for changing the face of Indian cinema and putting it on the world map. His fans fondly refer to him as Mani Sir. The fact that he is still relevant speaks a lot about his calibre as a director. He is known for collaborating with the best talents in the industry. Let’s look at 10 interesting facts about this filmmaker.
1. He has worked with only two music directors in his entire career one is Ilayaraja and the other one is A.R Rahman.
2. He made his debut with the Kannada film Pallavi Anu Pallavi.
3. His real name is Gopala Ratnam Subramaniam.
4. He was honoured with the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2002.
5. He has won 6 National awards 6 Filmfare awards South and 3 Bollywood filmfare awards.
6. He is a great fan of director K. Balachander.
7. His first Tamil film was Pagal Nilavu.
8. His first box office success was Idaya Kovil with Mohan in the lead.
9. Mani Ratnam’s Mouna Ragam won him the first National Award for best feature film in Tamil.
10. His Nayakan is included in the Times Magazine 100 greatest movies of all time.