Padmini who is famous for movies like Thillana Moganambal and Poove Poochudava is one of the finest dancers and actress of our country. The legend was born today. She was a trained Bharathanatyam dancer as well. She has acted in more than 250 films. Let’s look at 10 interesting facts about the film.
1. She and her sisters were known as Travancore sisters. Her sisters were Lalitha and Ragini.
2. She was given the title Natya Peroli for her roles as Bharatanatyam dancer in several Tamil films.
3. She made her debut at the age of 14 with the Hindi film Kalpana and her film career lasted for 30 years.
4. Ezhai Padum Padu which released in 1950 was her first Tamil film.
5. She also acted in the Indian – Soviet film journey beyond the seven seas which was based on the life of a Russian Traveller. She played the role of Indian dancer named Lakshmi.
6. In 1977 she opened the Padmini school of fine arts which is considered as one of the biggest classical Indian dance school in America.
7. Actress Shobana is Padmini’s niece and Actor Vineeth is nephew of Padmini’s husband Dr.Ramachandran.
8. She won the Tamil Nadu state award for her performance in Thillana Mohanambal.
9. She also won the filmfare lifetime achievement award in the year 1990.
10. She also won the certificate of merit for Veerapandiya Katabomman in the Afro Asian film festival in 1980.