It is director Shankar’s birthday today. Let’s look at 10 facts about him.
1. He began his film career as an assistant director to Pavithran and S.A Chandrasekhar.
2. His final film as an assistant director for S.A Chandrasekhar was the movie Nanbargal.
3. He made his debut as a director in 1993 with Gentleman.
4. His first straight Hindi film as a director was the Hindi remake of Gentleman titled Nayak with Anil Kapoor in the lead.
5. His first film as a producer was Mudhalvan but he also directed it. His first film only as a producer was Kaadhal.
6. He first made an appearance on screen in an uncredited role in the 1986 film Poovum Puyalum.
7. He won the National Award for Best feature film in Tamil for the movie Veyil.
8. He has won 4 filmfare awards.
9. Both Indian and Jeans were India’s submission to the Oscars for Best Foreign language film.
10. He has worked with Rajnikanth in 3 films, Arjun in 2 films and Vikram in 2 films. Aishwarya Rai, Manisha Koirala and Amy Jackson have also worked in 2 films each.