Let’s look at the top 10 underrated films of 2019.
1. Jiivi : This was from the team of 8 Thottakkal and they delivered yet again with a proper thriller which linked co-incidence and fate together. Even the twists in the climax gave us a very satisfying feeling and made us go wow.
2. KD Engira Karuppu Durai : This film was barely noticed but the film was absolute fun from start to finish with no compromises. The bonding between the Thatha and the boy was a sight to behold. This is one happy film which we can watch again and again to lift our spirits.
3. Vellai Pookal : This film was a stunner with veterans Vivek and Charlie in top form. Vivek playing the hero was a gamble but it paid off. It also highlighted the very important issue of child abuse and spoke about it without being preachy.
4. Mehndi Circus : This film was love and love only. The music by Sean Roldan and a very pretty lady love won us over. It is one of those films which will make us believe in love. The film is also a wonderful tribute by Sean Roldan to the Ilayaraja music of the 80’s and 90’s
5. Bakrid : A Vikranth special with a beautiful father daughter bond and a camel looked after by a loving family. The film was feel good from start to finish and is one of the heartwarming films of the year.
6. To-Let : A stunning film on the perils of living in a rented house with intense and impeccable performances by both the leads. It is a film which will break you down.
7. Nedunalvaadai : A remarkable cynical view on the life of the villagers with strong performances by a new cast. There is ample dose of family bonding which makes this film a must watch one.
8. Magamuni : Arya is splendid in a superstar’s Johnny like double role. A slow film but a film which is lifted by the strong act by the leading man and a strong take on the on changing moral values of human life.
9. K-13 : Arulnidhi’s yearly dose of thriller with a strong female counterpart in Shradha Srinath. The film deserved more than what it got at the box office. Despite the shortcomings it was a novel attempt for Tamil cinema.
10. Kaalidas : Bharath’s comeback vehicle was a strong and engaging thriller. It introduced Ann Sheetal to tamil cinema. It is one of those rare films which featured ordinary cops with no extraordinary ability.
subscribe to our top stories